As part of the West Yorkshire Combined Authority and the LEP’s commitment to creating an economy that works for everyone, new measures have been introduced to encourage businesses to maximise their positive impact on the region.
Make a positive impact
Inclusive growth means allowing everyone in the Leeds City Region to be able to contribute to and benefit from wealth creation, enjoy the benefits of a strong economy and enjoy a decent standard of living. As part of the West Yorkshire Combined Authority and the LEP’s commitment to creating an economy that works for everyone, new measures have been introduced to encourage businesses to maximise their positive impact on the region.
Businesses receiving a grant are expected to sign up to one or more of the LEP’s commitments to drive forward inclusive growth. The LEP and its network of partners can help businesses access products and services that will help them to take these positive actions. Commitments include:
- Connect with a secondary school and/or college to help inspire and inform the next generation about careers
- Develop skills and training plans that include an apprenticeship scheme
- Offer training to low paid staff to help them upskill and progress
- Offer work opportunities and experiences to local people with disabilities or health issues
- Provide sustainable ‘green travel’ ways for your employees to travel fir business and to commute to work
- Undertake an efficiency audit to identify ways to reduce waste and lower energy and water consumption
- Undertake a supply chain audit to identify opportunities to buy more from local suppliers
- Pay small business suppliers in line with the Prompt Payment Code, including a commitment to pay suppliers within 60 days and work towards adopting 30 days as the norm.
- Commit to playing employees the real Living Wage with an agreed timescale
The expected commitment will vary depending on the level of grant awarded:
- For grants from £10,000 to £24,999, you are encouraged to voluntarily commit to undertaking at least one inclusive growth commitments
- For grants from £25,000 - £49,999, you are expected to agree to one or more of the commitments
- For grants from £50,000 - £99,999, you are expected to agree to two or more of the commitments
- For grants from £100,000 - £249,999, you are expected to agree to three or more of the commitments
- For grants of £250,000 and above, you are expected to agree to four or more of the commitments
Initial guidance and advice on these commitments are available from the LEP Growth Service. Call 0113 348 1818 or email firstname.lastname@example.org