Are you looking to employ young people into your business? The Kickstart Scheme provides funding to employers to create new 6-month job placements for young people who are currently on Universal Credit and at risk of long-term unemployment.
The Kickstart Scheme provides funding to employers to create new 6-month job placements for young people who are currently on Universal Credit and at risk of long-term unemployment.
- The Kickstart Scheme provides funding to employers to create job placements for 16 to 24 year olds.
- Young people are referred via the jobcentre, and only those on Universal Credit are eligible. View Government’s guide to the Kickstart Scheme
- The first placements are likely to be available in November 2020
What is the offer?
- The Kickstart Scheme will fund the national minimum wage at 25 hours per week plus NI contributions
- There will be an additional payment of £1,500 per person to cover start up, support and training costs
- The job roles should not require people to undertake extensive training before they begin the job placement
- Once the placement is agreed, payment is made to a representative or directly to employer
- £1,500 wraparound support to employer who keep this or ‘buy back’ for support
- This would be paid to representative or employer in two stages – at the end of month 3 and the end of 6 months
For more information, please read the Kickstart Scheme - a guide for employers
How can I check if I can apply for a grant?
The Kickstart roles must offer new jobs or placements that will provide young people with the experience and support that they need to help improve their chances of gaining permanent employment. This includes:
- Support to look for long-term work, including careers advice and setting goals
- Support with CV and interview preparations
- Supporting the participant with basic skills, such as attendance, timekeeping and teamwork
How do I apply?
If you plan to recruit 30 or more young people, you can apply online.
If you plan on recruiting less than 30 young people, and would like support, register your details on the form below and the Kickstart Team at the Local Authority or Employment Hub will contact you.
Alternatively, you can view the organisations acting as a Gateway to offer employer support.
I am a young person and would like to know more
Young people can find out more about the Kickstart Scheme at the jobhelp site.