EU Exit: support for businesses

The transition period has ended and new rules are here. Act now to keep your business moving.

Last updated 28 April 2021.

The UK and EU have agreed a Trade and Cooperation Agreement governing future trade relations that sees no tariffs or quotas on the movement of goods produced between the UK and the EU. Even though a deal is secured, doing business with Europe has changed, and you need to follow new rules on exports, imports, tariffs, data and hiring. 

We are working with Enterprise Growth Solutions (EGS), and following guidance from the Department of International Trade (DIT), to provide specialist support to businesses across Yorkshire and the Humber. Find more information in the local support section below.

What actions do I need to take now?

If you are a business that deals with Europe are not ready for these changes, you could risk serious disruption to your operations. 

  1. Visit now and use the Brexit checker tool to get a personalised list of actions for your business and subscribe to find out when things change. 
  2. You must now make customs declarations when exporting goods to the EU. You can make the declarations yourself, but most businesses use an intermediary like a courier, freight forwarder or customs agent.
  3. Make sure you have an EORI number starting with GB. If exporting, you’ll need to check that the EU business you’re exporting to is also ready.
  4. If you move goods into, out of, or through Northern Ireland, make sure you also check the latest Northern Ireland Protocol guidance. If you’re moving goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the free-to-use Trader Support Service will guide you through the changes.
  5. The Government has taken measures to allow traders time to adjust to new processes. It has introduced new border controls in three stages until 1 July 2021 and agreed with the EU to temporarily simplify Rules of Origin procedures for 12 months to the end of December 2021, by implementing a 12-month waiver on supplier declarations.
  6. For trade with countries outside the EU, check for any changes to tariffs.
  7. If you’re due to travel to the EU for work, you may need a visa or work permit.
  8. If you want to hire from outside the UK, including from the EU, you must be a Home Office licenced sponsor under the UK’s new points-based immigration system. The new system doesn’t apply when hiring Irish citizens, or EU citizens already living in the UK.
  9. You may need to have UK professional qualifications officially recognised to work in a regulated profession in the EEA or Switzerland.

Local and national support

Local support

EU Transition Support Service

Until the end of June, West and North Yorkshire businesses can access support to navigate the UK's new trading relationship with the EU from expert consultants at Enterprise Growth Solutions (EGS).

Support includes one-to-one practical advice and guidance on the new rules on exports, imports, tariffs, data and hiring, new opportunities and referrals to other providers for specialist expertise. 
Support is free for businesses to access, funded by the Leeds City Region and North Yorkshire Enterprise Partnerships. 

Email | Call 0300 365 1000

EU Exit Legal Clinic

Delivered by the global law firm, Squire Patton Boggs, the Legal Clinic provides SMEs in West and North Yorkshire with up to one hour of free expert guidance on Brexit-related legal issues. 

To find out more, email

Chamber International and the Mid Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce 

The Chambers will support businesses with the new requirements related to trade-related documentation, including; licensing, rules of origin, obtaining an EORI number, tariff codes and application of tariffs applicable to goods, obtaining customs simplifications and changes in labelling and packaging of goods.

If you are based in Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield, contact the Mid Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce. Call 01484 483 660 | Email

If you are based in Leeds, Bradford, York and North Yorkshire, contact Chamber International. Email

National support

Video explainers on doing business with Europe

Watch a series of videos to familiarise yourself with the new rules and the actions you should be taking. Find out more about 18 topics, including importing and exporting, trade, data, and audit and accounting. Register now to immediately access the video content from the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).

National Business Support Helpline

The government's Business Support Helpline offers free advice and guidance to new and existing businesses. 

Email | Call 0800 998 1098 | Web Chat 

Enterprise Europe Network (EEN)

For support with innovation and international growth, the Enterprise Europe Network is on hand to provide SMEs with the expertise and contacts needed for success. The EEN can support companies with information about the regulatory and procedural changes arising from the UK's departure from the EU.

Email | Call 0300 123 3144 | Visit

SME Brexit Support Fund

The SME Brexit Support Fund could give you up to £2,000 to help with training or professional advice, if your business has up to 500 employees and no more than £100 million annual turnover. 

Find out more information on eligibility for the fund and apply online. Applications will close on 30 June 2021 or earlier, if all funding is allocated before this date. 

Upcoming webinars

  1. Go Global webinar series

    Available to watch now. Ten webinars to help business leaders maximise international opportunities by improving their marketing skills and efforts.

    Read more about Go Global webinar series
  2. Get ready for investment

    Delivered by Winning Pitch on behalf of the LEP. The Investment Readiness webinar series provides a wealth of support and insights to help develop your business and prepare for future investment.

    Read more about Get ready for investment
  • Sign up to a range of sector and topic-specific webinars for direct support from experts on the new rules on trading with the EU. Following the live events, the webinars are available to watch on-demand
  • The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is hosting a series of free podcasts to help businesses that make, use or supply chemicals, understand what actions they need to take to prepare for the changes. To listen to the podcast, you can search ‘The HSE Podcast’ on your chosen platform.
  • HMRC customs declarations webinars: HMRC has launched multiple editions of this live webinar covering how to complete customs import declarations and explaining how to make import declarations when importing goods between the EU and Great Britain.
  • Department for International Trade webinarsDIT is hosting a series of webinars primarily aimed at businesses which are UK based who import and export goods.
  • The Ministry of Justice has published several on-demand webinars for legal professionals discussing legal changes.
  • Trading with the EU: A video series that explains what businesses need to do to keep their business moving is available to watch now. These videos cover what businesses need to know about exports and imports, customs, commodity codes and controlled goods.

Information for businesses that trade with the EU

A guide to how the border with the European Union works

View the step by step guidance on how to move goods from the UK to international destinations, including the EU.

Find out what you need to do to comply with regulations on manufactured goods you place on the GB market.

Recognising the impact of coronavirus on businesses’ ability to prepare, and following the announcement in February 2020 that the UK Government will implement full border controls on imports coming into GB from the EU, the UK Government has taken the decision to introduce the new border controls in three stages up until 1 July 2021. This approach will give industry extra time to make necessary arrangements. The stages are:

  • From January 2021 

    Traders importing standard goods, covering everything from clothes to electronics, will need to prepare for basic customs requirements, such as keeping sufficient records of imported goods, and will have up to six months to complete customs declarations. While tariffs will need to be paid on all imports, payments can be deferred until the customs declaration has been made. There will be checks on controlled goods like alcohol and tobacco. Businesses will also need to consider how they account for VAT on imported goods. There will also be physical checks at the point of destination on all high-risk live animals and a proportion of low-risk live animals.
  • From April 2021

    All products of animal origin (POAO) – for example meat, pet food, honey, milk or egg products – and all regulated plants and plant products will also require pre-notification and the relevant health documentation.
  • From July 2021 

    Traders moving all goods will have to make declarations at the point of importation and pay relevant tariffs. Full Safety and Security declarations will be required, while for SPS commodities there will be an increase in physical checks and the taking of samples: checks for animals, plants and their products will now take place at GB Border Control Posts.

Further details can be found in the Border Operating Model. See the ‘Guide to changes at the border’ for a summary.

Further guidance

Helpline contact numbers

Helpline contact numbersView or download information on relevant helplines for borders, economy, energy, fish, animal, data and intellectual properly, funding programmes, and more (opens in a new window).

Make your workplace COVID-secure

Guidance for working safely during coronavirus (COVID-19)

Fourteen guides covering a range of different types of work are available to help you make your workplace Coivd-secure. Many businesses operate more than one type of workplace, such as an office, factory and fleet of vehicles. You may need to use more than one of these guides as you think through what you need to do to keep people safe. Priority actions are outlined at the top of each guide.

Find out more.

HMRC systems update 24 December

As a result of the end of the transition period HMRC is  taking some of its systems offline for a short time. This is a normal approach and it has been preparing to update these systems for some time.

You will need to plan around this downtime. There may be specific action you need to take if you are moving goods during this period.

Each of the following customs processing systems will be experiencing some downtime as a result of the end of the transition period:

Please also check HMRC guidance if you have ongoing customs movements at the end of the transition period.

EU (Withdrawal) Act and Common Frameworks report

The seventh European Union (Withdrawal) Act and Common Frameworks statutory report details the progress on the development of common frameworks. These frameworks will help facilitate the flow of trade between different parts of the UK whilst allowing the UK to fulfil its international obligations; they will help the UK to safeguard our common resources and enable the functioning of the UK’s internal market.

Existing UK trade agreements with non-EU countries

Information on the trade agreements the UK has already signed and our discussions with countries the EU has a trade agreement with has been updated.

List of customs agents and fast parcel operators

Updated with additional customs agents and fast parcel operators who can help submit customs declarations from 1 January 2021.

Financial services legislation under the EU (Withdrawal) Act 2018

Updated with Trade Repository Registration Arrangements under the UK Securities Financing Transactions Regulation document. HM Treasury’s programme of secondary legislation to ensure that the UK continues to have a functioning financial services regulatory regime in all scenarios when the UK leaves the EU.