Talented business leaders join Leeds City Region LEP Panels
Exciting changes within the Leeds City Region LEP are continuing with the appointment of new private sector members to its expert panels, under the leadership of LEP Chair Roger Marsh.
The LEP panels are responsible for supporting policy development and project delivery in specific areas as per the LEP’s Plan for economic growth.
Business Innovation and Growth Panel
Professor Bob Cryan, Chair of the BIG Panel welcomes the new additions. He said: “I am delighted to welcome the new panel members who bring together a diverse pool of experience and expertise. I look forward to taking the work of the BIG panel to the next level with the addition of these talented individuals.”
- Chris Schofield, Senior Partner from Schofield Sweeney has over 25 years of experience in national and international law firms and as a corporate finance solicitor, and has lived and worked in the Leeds City Region throughout his career.
- Sophie Jewett is Managing Director of York Cocoa House, a chocolate experience cafe and retail outlet in York. Sophie has recently been listed in Insider 42 Under 42.
- Dr Richard Smith is Managing Director of Leeds-based Surfachem Group Ltd. Established in 1981, Surfachem has grown to become the leading, UK based, global distributor of speciality chemicals into many industry sectors including; Personal Care, Homecare, Industrial and Institutional and Pharmaceutical
- Martin Doxey is Managing Director and controlling shareholder of Claro Precision Engineering Ltd based near Harrogate. Having wide experience in the public, private and university sectors Martin is credited with co-authoring the Yorkshire & Humber region’s first innovation strategy and the White Rose Consortium’s success in bringing the National Science Learning Centre to Yorkshire.
Employment and Skills Panel
Stephanie Burras, Chair of the Employment and Skills Panel welcomed the new Panel members and emphasised the importance of developing the skills of our workforce at all levels and growing the employment opportunities across the city region.
- Phil Ball is the Manufacturing Director for Kodak’s Leeds plant and brings thirty years of experience in manufacturing. Phil is passionate about apprenticeships and is keen to help improve the development and preparation of young people into industry.
- Dave Harris has worked at RBS for 28 years. Having fulfilled a variety of Corporate Banking and Business Development roles he is now the Regional Director for Corporate & Institutional Banking in Yorkshire and heads a team of 50 staff which provides full banking services to around 250 corporate clients in the Yorkshire region from its corporate offices in Leeds.
- Paul Gibson is Chief executive and founder of PureNet, a leading eCommerce and Digital Marketing provider based in York. Paul recently won Business Personality of the Year 2012 in the York Business Press Awards, is a business mentor and 'Dragon' in the government-supported Local Business Accelerator competition spearheaded by Deborah Meaden.
- Tom Keeney is BT Regional Director for Yorkshire & Humber, directing a Board of BT Executives. Tom is also Director of Workforce Planning for BT Group.
- Tim Hedley-Jones is Stations and Property Director for East Coast Mainline Ltd, based in York. Having spent the initial part of his career within the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Tim Joined East Coast franchise in 1999 and has worked for GNER, NXEC and now ECML Co Ltd in a variety of management positions and, since 2007, as a Director.
Green Economy Panel
Paul Hamer, Chair of the Green Economy Panel also welcomes new members to the Green Economy Panel and emphasised the role of the Panel in ensuring that the LEP delivers on its ambition for a low carbon economy.
- Stephen Brown is Director at CO2Sense. Formerly leading low carbon economic development for Yorkshire Forward, Steve has extensive influence nationally and locally across both the public and private sectors. He brings with him the skills and expertise of CO2Sense, a valued local third sector organisation who lead on projects such as the Yorkshire Carbon Capture and Storage Network.
- Mark Duncan is Managing Director at Duncan Renewables. Over the last eight years Mark has established a new renewables installation business in the Leeds City Region. As well as being extremely knowledgeable on the technology and finance behind the renewables market, he has a unique insight into the needs of the local SME supply chain, which will be invaluable in ensuring the LEP’s business support products reach the businesses that need them most.
- Lucy Hind is Facilities Director at Covance, one of the largest pharmaceutical employers in the Leeds City Region. Under Lucy’s leadership Covance have developed a strong reputation for sustainability and most recently won ‘Green Business of The Year’ at Harrogate’s annual Business Awards.
- Simon Pringle is the UK Head of Sustainability and Cleantech for BDO LLP. Alongside this role he is a Non-Exec Director of The Power Collective which is an award winning clean technology business. Simon also serves as Trustee and Vice Chair of Carbon Leapfrog, the leading community energy charity and he is Non-Exec Director for a private equity fund, investing in renewable energy projects.