We are delivering a programme of transport schemes projects designed to increase housing, employment and inclusive economic growth across the Leeds City Region.
Having good local and regional transport links encourages business development and creates new jobs. For this reason, West Yorkshire Combined Authority is investing in projects that will reduce congestion, improve the flow of freight and make it easier for people to commute to and from major employment growth areas as well as education and training opportunities.
We have already completed a number of successful transport projects that are reducing congestion, speeding up journeys and opening up land for new businesses and housing. We’re building new and expanded highways facilitating development, inclusive economic growth and jobs, especially in deprived areas.
We’re improving access corridors and junctions for pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles and enhancing the provision of parking at rail stations, and making greater investment in public transport infrastructure.
These projects are designed to deliver:
- Quicker journey through highway improvements and public transport developments.
- Reduced congestion and air pollution through upgrades to highways and increased use of better public transport.
- More access to good-quality jobs through improvements that encourage more people to use public transport and active travel as well as benefiting car users.
- Through our projects, we provide economic benefits and health benefits to the region.
West Yorkshire-Plus Transport Fund
Funding secured by the LEP and West Yorkshire Combined Authority through the Leeds City Region Growth Deal in 2014 has enabled the establishment of a £1 billion West Yorkshire-Plus Transport Fund, covering West Yorkshire and York.
The Fund is targeted at enabling key development areas and will help to create about 20,000 new jobs over the next 10 years. A number of strategic transport projects will be delivered to facilitate growth identified in the Strategic Economic Plan, which encompass:
- Improved motorway access
- Orbital road improvements
- Radial improvements on corridors for better public transport options into our urban centres
- Road and rail improvements between district hubs to provide capacity and better connectivity
- Enhanced rail station gateways with increased car parking capacity for park and ride
Local Transport Plan and Other DFT Funding
The different authorities in the Leeds City Region are working together to ensure that West Yorkshire’s transport system connects people and places in ways that support the economy, the environment and quality of life.
The objectives of the Plan are:
- To improve connectivity to support economic activity and growth in West Yorkshire and the Leeds City Region
- To make substantial progress towards a low carbon, sustainable transport system for West Yorkshire, while recognising transport's contribution to national carbon reduction plans
- To enhance the quality of life of people living in, working in and visiting West Yorkshire